Several clients passing by my office have been separated for a long time but never obtained a divorce. Without judging the reasons which could motivate someone to stay simply separated without having a divorce judgment, even when there is a new relationship, here are a few good reasons to divorce without too much delay when the separation is final, courtesy of a notary who has seen several complications caused by the absence of a divorce judgment :

Because you might not be able the buy your dream property with your new lover

You are separated since a couple of years. You are now living with a new person. You have finally found your dream condo or house, which you want to purchase together with this new person in your life. But: your have never divorced from your ex , whom you have married when you were both domiciled in a foreign country where the default matrimonial regime is a community as to property. You did not sign either a marriage contract (“prenup”). Your ex still lives in that country or maybe he lives in the province of Québec but you have absolutely no contact with him anymore. You might even ignore where your ex lives.

Bad news : you will not be able to buy this dream condo or house with your new lover. The house / condo will probably be registered only under the name of your new lover. Why? Because your ex would automatically own a part of the condo / house if your name is registered on title. If you have to take a mortgage in order to finance the purchase of the condo / house (as the vast majority), your ex will have to sign the deed of hypothec with Bank. His signature will also be required for any subsequent transaction on the house / condo : renewal of the mortgage, sale, etc.

Because you don’t want your ex to automatically own half of your assets

So, you are still married with your ex under a regime of community as to property under the old rules of the Code civil du Bas Canada or under the laws of a foreign country. Several countries still have legal rules having for consequence that the spouse, simply because they are married together, share the ownership of their assets. Sometimes, it will be a universal community as to property, in which case all the assets of the spouses are shared, without any exception. For example, without any contrary choice by the spouses, people married in Rwanda are under a regime of universal community as to property. Sometimes, i twill be a reduced community as to property, in which case some assets will not be shared (the assets acquired from the estate of a parent or those given by a parent for example). Reduced community as to property can be found in some countries from East Europe such as Romania and Bulgaria.

Consequences? Your ex automatically becomes the owner of 50% of the assets you own, unless exceptions apply. If you finally decide to divorce, you should not forget to ask for your ex to cede you all of his rights in the assets you acquired after the separation. You should also ask in the process of the divorce that any partition be made at the date of separation (not at the date of the divorce). And if you pass without having obtained your divorced, half of your assets might go to your ex even if you have left everything to someone else in your will.

Because you don’t want to share with your ex the value of your assets acquired after the separation

You still are married with your ex but you are not married under such a community as to property. You may be married under the laws of the Province of Québec (partnership of acquests) or you have executed a marriage contract (prenup) establishing that your ex and yourself are separated as to property (each one keep his/her own assets).

You are lucky! The value of only some of your assets will be shared with your ex.

In both cases (partnership of acquests and separation as to property), the family patrimony will is applicable. Which means that the value of the family residences, vehicles and RRSPs will be shared with your ex. Your ex is entitled to half the value of such assets you may own if you pass or if you finally decide to ask for a divorce, subject to certain deductions. As the time pass by, the value of those assets will increase and the amount payable to your ex may be important. Once again, it may be important to ask for the partition in the divorce proceedings to be calculated as of the date of the separation instead of the date of the divorce. Let’s just hope that there will not be a conflict with regards to the separation date! See for example (in french) where Madame obtained the partition of the value of the country house acquired by her ex-husband bought it after the separation.

In the case of the partnership of acquests, a partition of the value of all the assets acquired during the marriage with the proceeds of your work shall also be done.  The money in your bank account might be shared !

In all those cases, your ex will have the possibility to renounce to the partition if you pass or when you’ll divorce. Will he ?

Because you don’t want your ex to inherit from you

You pass without misfortunately obtained your divorce. There are strong possibilities that your ex will inherit from your assets or a part of them, even if your last wishes were to a contrary effect!

If you have made a last will and testament by which you were leaving all your assets to your ex and had never modified it before your death, your ex will get your assets as mentioned in the last will and testament. The separation in itself does not cancel the last will and testament.  The divorce judgment does. Once the divorce is final, all the legacies and bequests made in favour of your ex in your last will and testament are automatically cancelled, as well as his appointment as liquidator (executor) of your estate.

If you did not signed a last will and testament, your ex will inherit from only a part of your assets. He’ll get a third of your assets if he inherits with your children, or two thirds if he inherits with your parents and siblings. Obviously, your new lover (common law partner) will get nothing.

Once again, your ex will be presented with the possibility to renounce to your estate. Will he?

Because you don’t want your new lover to settle your estate with your ex

You have the misfortune to pass without having divorced and you have minor children, either from your marriage or from your new relationship. Moreover, you were the co-owner of your house with your new relationship.

You did not take the precaution of making your last will and testament. Accordinlgy, your ex will get a third of your share of the house and your minor children will get the two thirds of your share of the house. Your new spouse will then be forced to settle your estate together with your ex. They will have to appoint together a liquidator (executor) of your estate or, if they can’t agree, ask the court to appoint one. Your new spouse will probably have to buy from your ex his share of the house, which house you had however bought with your new spouse with the possible intention to raise your children there, or at least with the intention to let him stay there to raise your children if something would happen to you.

You were cautious and made a last will and testament by which you left everything to your new spouse and to your minor children. You also appointed your new spouse as the liquidator of your estate. However, he will still have to settle the family patrimony and the partnership of acquests with your ex. Your new spouse may be forced to pay important amounts to your ex before inheriting himself and before your children could inherit from you. Moreover, if one of your minor children is born from your marriage with your ex, it’s him who will represent him in your estate.

Because you don’t want to have to pay the debts of your ex after his/her decease

You have been separated for several years from your ex when he pass without having made a last will and testament or without having changed his last will and testament by which he left you all his assets. To make things worse, your ex had financial or health difficulties or a gambling problem which put him in a very difficult position. He has more debts than assets. Maybe he cashed all his RRSPs in order to satisfy his basic needs.

On your end, you have no intention to assume the debts of your ex. You wish to renounce to his estate and get rid of those problems. You may indeed renounce to the estate of your ex and remit the file to Revenu Québec, direction of the unclaim property. One of the first verificationns Revenu Québec will make after receiving the file will be to make sure the partition of the family patrimony and of the partnership of acquests (or other matrimonial regime) is done. Revenu Québec will force you to disclose all of the assets you own which are part of the family patrimony and the matrimonial regime (family residences, vehicles, RRSPs, etc.). You should make sure BEFORE renouncing to the estate of your ex that you do not owe him / his estate any amount for the partition of the family patrimony and matrimonial regime. If so, then you might prefer to settle the estate of your ex yourself and pay his debts after all.


The fact of not divorcing presents several disadvantages on a legal and a financial point of view, which may complicate your life or the life of those you leave behind.

If you decide after all not to divorce after your separation, your notary can help your to minimize the consequences of your choice by drafting your last will and testament or by preparing a marriage contract to establish a separation as to property between your ex and yourself. It is question of a minimization of the disadvantages, not a total cancellation of them.

Final reminder : a divorce judgment is final or valid only after the expiration of a 30 days delay. Don’t wait to be too old. Imagine if your ex passes only a few days after the divorce judgment… Yes, this happens in real life !


Je vois régulièrement dans mon bureau des gens qui sont depuis longtemps séparés que leur époux ou épouse mais qui n’ont jamais intenté des procédures de divorce. Sans juger les motifs qui peuvent motiver une personne à ne pas divorcer malgré la séparation et souvent les nouvelles fréquentations, voici quelques bonnes raisons de divorcer, gracieuseté d’une notaire ayant vu bien des complications causées par l’absence d’un jugement de divorce :

Parce que vous ne pourrez peut-être pas acheter le condo de vos rêves avec votre nouvel amour

Vous êtes séparé depuis plusieurs années et avez refait votre vie avec une nouvelle personne. Vous avez enfin déniché le condo de vos rêves que vous désirez acquérir avec cette nouvelle personne. Mais! Vous n’avez pas divorcé de votre ex que vous aviez marié alors que vous étiez tous les deux domiciliés dans un pays où le régime matrimonial par défaut est la communauté de biens. Vous n’avez pas non plus fait de contrat de mariage. Votre ex habite toujours dans ce pays ou bien il habite au Québec mais vous n’avez plus aucun contact. Peut-être ignorez-vous-même où votre ex habite.

Mauvaise nouvelle : vous ne pourrez pas acquérir le condo avec votre nouvel amour. Le condo devra très probablement être au nom de votre nouvel amour seulement. Pourquoi? Parce que votre ex deviendrait automatiquement propriétaire d’une partie du condo si votre nom est sur les titres de propriétés. Si vous devez hypothéquer le condo pour l’acheter (comme la plupart des gens), la signature de votre ex sera requise au contrat d’hypothèque avec la Banque. Sa signature sera aussi requise pour toute transaction subséquente sur le condo : renouvellement hypothécaire, vente, etc.

Parce que vous ne voulez pas que votre ex devienne automatiquement propriétaire de la moitié de vos biens

Vous êtes donc toujours marié avec votre ex sous le régime de la communauté de biens tel qu’établi par les anciennes règles du Code civil du Bas Canada ou par les lois d’un autre pays. Plusieurs pays disposent encore de règles faisant en sorte que les époux, du fait même du mariage, partagent la propriété de leurs biens. Ce sont parfois des communautés universelles, auquel cas tous les biens des époux sont partageables, sans exceptions. Par exemple, en l’absence d’un choix contraire, les gens mariés au Rwanda se verront soumis au régime de la communauté universelle. Ce sont parfois des communautés réduites, auquel cas plusieurs biens ne seront pas partageables (par exemple, les biens acquis par succession ou donation d’un de ses parents). On retrouve de tels régimes de communautés réduites dans certains pays de l’Europe de l’est comme la Roumanie et la Bulgarie.

Conséquences? Votre ex devient automatiquement propriétaire de 50% des biens dont vous êtes propriétaires, sauf exceptions. Si vous décidez finalement de divorcer, il ne faudra pas oublier dans le partage de vos biens que votre ex vous cède tous ses droits dans les biens que vous avez acquis depuis la séparation. Vous devrez également demander dans le cadre des procédures de divorce que tout partage soit effectué non pas à la date du divorce mais à la date de votre séparation. Et si vous décédez sans être divorcé, la moitié de vos biens risque d’aller à votre ex même si par testament, vous aviez légué tous vos biens à une autre personne.

Parce que vous ne voulez pas partager la valeur de vos biens acquis après la séparation avec votre ex

Vous êtes toujours marié avec votre ex mais vous n’êtes pas mariés sous un régime de communauté de biens. En effet, vous êtes régis par la loi québécoise (société d’acquêts) ou vous avez fait un contrat de mariage précisant que vous êtes mariés en séparation de biens.

Vous avez de la chance! Ce ne sont que certains de vos biens dont la valeur est partageable avec votre ex.

Dans ces 2 cas, le patrimoine familial fait en sorte que la valeur des résidences familiales, des véhicules et des REER est partageable avec votre ex. Votre ex a droit à la moitié de la valeur de ces biens dont vous êtes propriétaire si vous décédez ou si vous décidez de finalement divorcer, sous réserve de certaines déductions. Plus le temps passe, plus ces biens prendront de la valeur et le montant à payer à votre ex pourra être important. Encore une fois, il sera important de demander dans le cadre des procédures de divorce que tout partage soit effectué non pas à la date du divorce mais à la date de votre séparation. En espérant qu’il n’y ait pas un conflit sur la date de la séparation! Voir par exemple où Madame a obtenu le partage de la valeur du chalet même si Monsieur l’avait acquis après la séparation.

Dans le cas de la société d’acquêts, il faudra de plus partager la valeur de tous les biens acquis avec le produit de votre travail au cours de votre mariage.  L’argent dans votre compte de banque pourrait être partageable.

Dans tous les cas, votre ex aura la possibilité de renoncer à ces partages si vous décédez ou lorsque vous divorcerez. Le fera-t-il ?

Parce que vous ne voulez pas que votre ex hérite de vos biens

Par malchance, vous décédez sans avoir obtenu votre divorce. Il y a de fortes chances que votre ex hérite de vos biens ou d’une partie de ceux-ci même si telle n’était pas du tout votre volonté!

Si vous aviez fait un testament par lequel vous léguiez tous vos biens à votre ex mais que vous ne l’avez jamais modifié avant votre décès, votre ex héritera tel que mentionné dans ce testament. La simple séparation de fait n’invalide pas le testament, contrairement au jugement de divorce. Une fois le divorce prononcé, tous les legs faits à votre ex dans votre testament sont automatiquement annulés, tout comme sa nomination comme liquidateur de votre succession.

Si vous n’aviez pas fait de testament, votre ex héritera d’une partie de vos biens, soit avec vos enfants (un tiers), soit avec vos parents et vos frères et sœurs (deux tiers). Évidemment, si vous avez un nouveau conjoint de fait, il n’aura rien.

Certes, votre ex aura la possibilité de renoncer à votre succession. Mais le fera-t-il ?

Parce que vous ne voulez pas que votre nouvel amour doive régler votre succession avec votre ex

Par malchance, vous décédez sans avoir obtenu votre divorce et vous avez des enfants mineurs issus de votre union avec votre ex et de votre nouvelle union avec votre conjoint de fait. Vous êtes copropriétaire de votre maison avec votre nouveau conjoint.

Vous n’aviez pas pris la précaution de faire un testament. Ainsi, votre ex héritera du tiers de votre moitié de la maison et vos enfants mineurs hériteront des deux tiers de votre moitié de la maison. Votre nouveau conjoint devra donc régler votre succession avec votre ex. Ils devront ensemble décider de nommer un liquidateur de la succession ou s’ils ne peuvent s’entendre, demander au tribunal d’en nommer un. Votre nouveau conjoint devra probablement racheter la part de votre ex dans la maison que vous aviez pourtant achetée ensemble, sans doute avec l’intention qu’il puisse y rester et élever vos enfants si quelque chose vous arrivait.

Comme vous êtes tout de même prudent, vous avez fait un testament dans lequel vous léguer tous vos biens à votre nouveau conjoint et à vos enfants mineurs et dans lequel vous nommez votre nouveau conjoint comme liquidateur de votre succession. Il reste toutefois la question du partage du patrimoine familial et de la société d’acquêts à régler entre votre ex et votre nouveau conjoint. Celui-ci pourra se voir obligé de payer des sommes importantes à votre ex avant d’hériter et avant que vos enfants n’héritent. De plus, si l’un de vos enfants mineurs est issu de votre mariage avec votre ex, c’est votre ex qui le représentera dans votre succession.

Parce que vous voulez pas devoir payer les dettes de votre ex après son décès

Vous êtes séparé de votre ex depuis longtemps. Celui-ci décède sans avoir fait de testament ou sans avoir modifié son testament vous nommant comme héritier. Comble de malheur, votre ex a connu des problèmes de santé ou de jeu qui l’ont mis dans une situation financière très difficile. Il a donc beaucoup plus de dettes que de biens et peut-être même n’a-t-il plus de REER, les ayant encaissés pour subvenir à ses besoins vu ses problèmes.

De votre côté, vous n’êtes évidemment pas intéressé d’assumer les dettes de votre ex. Vous désirez renoncer à sa succession et vous débarrasser de ces problèmes qui vous tombent dessus. Certes, vous pourrez renoncer à la succession de votre ex et remettre le dossier au Ministère du Revenu, direction des biens non réclamés. Une des premières vérifications du Ministère du Revenu une fois saisi du dossier sera de s’assurer que le partage du patrimoine familial et de votre régime matrimonial est fait. Le Ministère du Revenu vous obligera à lui divulguer les biens dont vous êtes propriétaire qui peuvent faire l’objet d’un tel partage : résidences, autos, REER, etc. Vous devez donc vous assurer AVANT de renoncer à la succession de votre ex criblé de dettes que vous ne lui devez pas un montant en raison du partage du patrimoine familial et de votre régime matrimonial (société d’acquêts par exemple). Si oui, vous devriez peut-être procéder au règlement de la succession de votre ex vous-même et assumer ses dettes malgré tout.


Le fait de ne pas divorcer comporte donc plusieurs inconvénients au niveau légal et financier qui pourront grandement vous compliquer la vie. Si vous décidez toutefois de ne pas divorcer malgré votre séparation, votre notaire peut vous aider à minimiser les impacts de ce choix en rédigeant votre testament d’une manière la plus complète possible ou encore en préparant un contrat de mariage établissant la séparation de biens comme régime matrimonial. On parle bien ici d’une minimisation et non pas d’une suppression totale de ces inconvénients.

Rappel final : le jugement de divorce n’est valide qu’après l’expiration d’un délai de 30 jours de sa prononciation. N’attendez pas d’être trop vieux pour divorcer. Imaginez que votre ex décède quelques jours à peine après le jugement de divorce… Et oui, ça arrive dans la vraie vie !

An alternative to divided co-ownership: undivided co-ownership

Since several years, the conversion of existing properties into divided co-ownership is strictly legalized. Accordingly, a property which had at least 1 apartment rented in the last 10 years can’t be converted without the authorization of the Régie du Logement. If this property is situated in the City of Montréal, the owner will first have to obtain a derogation from the borough since all conversion into divided co-ownership is in principle forbiden in Montréal. For example, in the borough Le Sud-Ouest, the derogation will not be issued if the property is inoccupied and the vacancy rate of the residential apartments in the area is less than 3%. Moreover, several boroughs of the City of Montréal have adopted a new by-law with regards to the creation, maintenance and improvment of the parks, playgrounds and natural spaces (see of example,42657625&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL&id=23828 ). As a result of this new by-law, the owner of an existing property who proceed with its conversion into divided co-ownership will be imposed a tax of 10% of the value of the land on which the building is situated.

In practical terms, here are the steps to be respected by the owner of an existing property who desires to convert it into divided co-ownership :

  • Request a permit for the conversion into divided co-ownership from the borough and obtain the required derogation (variable costs depending on the boroughs. Between 300$ and 2600$ in the borough Le Sud-Ouest – see )
  • Request the authorization to convert the property from the Régie du logement if one or more apartments have been rented in the last 10 years. The owner will generally be assisted at this stage by a notary or a lawyer (variable fees).
  • Subdivide the property in order for each apartment to be a separate entity at the Registre foncier. this step will be done by a land surveyor (variable fees).
  • Prepare and publiesh the declaration of co-ownership, which has to be done by notarial deed (variable fees). If the authorization of the Régie du logement has been obtained, it is mandatory for the declaration of co-ownership to be published in the year following the authorization unless an extension of delaiy is obtained.
  • Have a new survey prepared by a land surveror showing the property after the conversion into condos (variable fees).
  • Pay the tax for the creation, maintenance and improvment of the parks, playgrounds and natural spaces in the boroughs where this tax is applicable. For example, in the case of a duplex situated in the borough Le Sud-Oues having a municipal evaluation of  472 900$ of which 155 500$ is for the land, the taxe will cost 15 550$.

The total cost of the conversion in this case will be amounting to approximately 25 000$. Is there any way of avoid all those costs and delays ? The answer is yes!

Indeed, for the moment, there is no regulation concerncing the conversion of existing properties into undivided co-ownership. In this type of ownership, the buyer of an apartment is purchasing a percentage of the whole building with the exclusivel right to use his apartment. No permit request at the borough necessary, no authorization of the Régie du logement required, no subdivision to be done by the land surveyor and no tax for the creation, maintenance and improvment of the parks, playgrounds and natural spaces  to pay !  Regardless to the type of conversion chosen (divided or undivided cop-ownership), the result will be the same : each apartment can be sold separately.

The steps to convert an existing property into undivided co-ownership are limited to :

  • Have a new survey prepared by a land surveror showing the property with a plan of each apartment
  • Prepare and publish a notarial indivision agreement which will establish the rules governing the relations between the co-owners.

In undivided co-ownership, the co-owners will share the accounts of municipal and school taxes in proportion to the percentages fixed by the indivision agreement. The conversion into undivided co-ownership does not lead to an increase of the property taxes, contrary to the conversion into condos.

However, it may be noted that undivided co-ownership involbes particularities which will eventually be the subject of an article in this blog (see ).

The main goal of all these regulations from the City of Montréal with regards to the conversion of existing properties into condos, being the protection of the rental housing, is certainly a laudable goal. However, I am of the opinion that it will cause the contrary effect. By discouraging the conversion into condos, the City of Montréal is encouraging undivided co-ownership, which will in addition will deprive the City from vast revenues.